Explanation of missing information (if applicable)

Jun 23, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Thanks for this project, it looks pretty polished.

It's my understanding that server-side tracking breaks some aspects of the information collected by Google Analytics since all the requests are coming from the web server. I haven't looked into the details much but you might want to include information on how this affects the data collected.

Keep up the good work!

Coordinator
Jul 1, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Hi there,

Thanks for your interest in the project. Sorry for not replying sooner, seems I didn't have email notifications set up.

The biggest limitation of having it all server side (ie no client side javascript to collect browser info) is that visitor location would be reported as your web server. The "utmip" parameter that used to exist in the Mobile Tracking code no longer works.

In theory you could have passed an IP address (with the .0 on the end) to get a rough location, but in my testing that no longer works. The only way around that is to use the usercontrol in your templates so it embeds the 1x1 px in your page - as the image is called from the client not the server you can then see your visitors locations.

The other limitations are you can't see the visitors screen resolution / flash, page load times or other more advanced features. Those would require client side javascript which was another area to avoid (If people have javascript blocked etc then you'd be in the same invisible traffic situation).

There is a brief note about limitations on the main website (http://www.cookiefreeanalytics.co.uk/features), but I agree that it could do with being a little easier to find. 

As with most projects, its more fun to get on with playing in code than documenting it all! But its on the todo list to migrate the documentation over to codeplex and tidy it up.

If you have any other queries please let me know.

Cheers,
Dave

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Edited Jul 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Dear Dave

I was implemented Yours php version on two sites and tracking is working fine. You did great job, thank You! But I am missing location of visitors.

In previous post You wrote:
> The only way around that is to use the usercontrol in your templates so it embeds the 1x1 px in your page - as the image is called from the client not the server you can then see your visitors locations.

Can You please explain to me how to call image from client? I create .jpg image 1x1 pixel and put in root folder but I am hot sure how to call it from template.

Best regards
Scitnik